Reducing Our Carbon Footprint
Union Street Charter makes an effort to reduce our use of natural resources in the following ways:
- Solar panels installed in 2005.
- 100% renewable energy provided by Redwood Coast Energy Authority.
- Energy efficient electric heating system installed in 2018.
- Energy efficient LED lamps, installed in all classrooms (Prop 39 clean energy funds).
- Rain water collection for plant watering.
- Food scraps diverted to a local farmer.
- Recycling collected from all classrooms, offices and lunch areas (reusable containers encouraged). Lunch trays are washed daily.
- Families are encouraged to bike or walk to school.
- We teach children not to waste and reduce the amount of plastic in use.
- Families are encouraged to bring their own plates to potluck events.