Union Street Charter News August 22nd, 2019
August 27: First Day of School – Tuesday
Parent Meetings: childcare available for school age children
Kindergarten – Wednesday, Aug. 28 at 5:30
First Grade – Tuesday, Sept. 3 at 5:30
Second Grade – Thursday, Aug. 29 at 5:30
Third Grade – Thursday, Sept. 5 at 5:30
Fourth Grade – Tuesday, Sept. 3 at 7:00
Fifth Grade – Thursday, Aug. 29 at 7:00
Class Camping/Day Trips:
Kindergarten Day Trip – Friday Sept. 27
First Grade Day Trip – Friday Sept. 20
Second Grade Camping – Sept. 5-6
Third Grade Day Trip – Friday Sept. 13
Fourth Grade Wolf Creek – Oct. 16-18
Fifth Grade Backpacking – Sept. 11-13
Fifth Grade Ashland Trip – Oct. 3-4
Thank You Volunteers!
A big thank you to Saturday’s work party crew: Karla Roman & Emmet Kochendorfer, Violet Ray & Enso Ray-Kaneko, Sue Manard & Emily Wadham, Sean & Georgia Wilson & Jenny Winsted Wilson and Mary Arquien. We appreciate your help in spiffing up the school!
The parent handbook contains important information on school policies, procedures and programs. Please read the attached parent handbook and discuss relevant parts of the handbook with your student. Paper copies are available in the school office. The parent handbook is also posted on the school website under Family Resources: http://www.unionstreetcharter.org/.
Parking, Drop-off & Pick-up
Union Street Charter’s parking system is designed for safety and efficiently. Please do not block Union Street. If you are unable to turn in to the driveway, loop through the roundabout or community center parking lot and try again. Crowding usually clears very quickly.
DROP OFF: 8:00 TO 8:30
- Spots on the south side of the school driveway (next to the playground) & the yellow curb in front of the school are for drop off only. These “stop and drop” spots are for parents who can drop off children without leaving the car.
- A staff person will facilitate and monitor curbside drop off from 8:10 to 8:30. Children are monitored as they travel from the car to the schoolyard.
- Parents who need to park and come on campus may:
- Park in the four spots on the north side of the driveway for up to 5-minutes. These spots fill up quickly.
- Park on Union Street past the stop sign & red curb up the hill.
- Park at the Community Center parking lot.
- After 8:30 and before 2:50, parking is available in the driveway and at the yellow curb.
PICK UP: 3:00-3:10 – Tuesday through Friday
- 3:00-3:10. Spots on the south side of the school driveway (next to the playground) & the yellow curb in front of the school are for stop & scoop only (no leaving your car). Staff members will safely direct children to their cars waiting in the driveway and at the yellow curb in front of the school.
- At 3:10 all children not picked up are checked into after school.
- After 3:15 (and before 8 a.m.), parking is available in the driveway and at the yellow curb.
PICK UP: 1:45-2:00 – Minimum Mondays & Kindergarten
- On Mondays at 1:45-1:55. Spots on the south side of the school driveway (next to the playground) & the yellow curb in front of the school are for drop-off & pick-up only no leaving your car (this includes kindergarten parents). Staff members will direct children to their cars waiting in the driveway and at the yellow curb in front of the school.
- On Tuesday thru Friday at 1:45-2:00: Kindergarten parents may park in the driveway & and the yellow curb in front of the school. These spots are restricted “drop off” or “pick up” only at other times noted above.
- At 1:55 all children not picked up are checked into after school.
- After 1:55 on minimum Mondays, parking is available in the driveway and at the yellow curb.
INFORMATION ABOUT THE PARKING SITUATION
- Drive slowly, 5 mph or less!
- Please use patience, caution, and courtesy while using the crowded driveway. Always have your child walk with you; do not let them run ahead.
- To avoid driveway congestion, come before 8:10 or after 3:15; spots are usually open at those times.
- Classroom volunteers and other parents who need to go to the classroom will need extra time for walking from the Community Center or up the hill on Union Street.
- Guidelines for parking on camping trip days and on half days will be published in the school or classroom news.
Free and Reduced Lunch Application & School Funding
Eligible students may qualify to receive free or reduced price ($0.40) lunches as part of the National School Lunch Program. The school gets funding boosts for each qualified free and reduced application regardless of whether a student eats school lunch or not. PLEASE RETURN THE ATTACHED APPLICATION FOR FREE AND REDUCED LUNCHES; IT NEEDS TO BE TURNED IN ON A YEARLY BASIS.
The Arcata School Lunch Program – Menu attached
- All students can order Arcata District Lunch. Full price – $3, reduced price – $.40, Milk only – $0.50.
- Send no money; you will be billed monthly by the ECE (Equinox Center for Education).
- Lunch orders are faxed to the Sunny Brae kitchen each morning at 8:45 a.m. So, children who come after 8:45 a.m. cannot order school lunch.
- Parents please make it clear to your child when they are ordering school lunch so they will know what to tell the teacher.
- Lunch menus are sent by email each month and posted on the school website (unionstreetcharter.org).
Questions or Suggestions?Please contact Rea Erickson at email@example.com or Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org