Test of School Emergency Notification System
We will be testing our emergency notification system on Tuesday afternoon (2/26). If you do not receive a text and email from our emergency notification system tomorrow afternoon, please contact the office so that we can update your contact info. Thanks!
Annual Family Potluck & Student Sing, Sunday March 17th, 12-3
Union Street Charter families fill the Community Center at this wonderful school community event! The students present a music performance and everyone enjoys a festive potluck. There is a sign up on the porch or you can email the office to help (see job list below). We ask families who are new to the school to come and enjoy the event for the first time without needing to do anything other than bring your family, place settings, and potluck dishes.
Arcata Community Center Schedule
11:00 Set up, need 4-8 people to set up tables and chairs!
12:00 Food set up, socializing & child activities (craft room)
12:30 Student Sing, All School Circle & Simple Gifts song
1:45 Socializing & child activities (craft room & playground)
2:15 Clean up
- Seating is not assigned. Families are encouraged to share tables as numbers allow. Bring your own “table set ups” including plates, cutlery, cups and table cloths
- The bleachers are off limits to all children (except during singing performance). No running or chase games inside the building. Please monitor your children and help them to use appropriate indoor behavior!
- Student craft activities are in the senior dining room from 12 to 12:30 and from 1:45 to 2:15. The parent-supervised playground is available before & after eating. Help direct children to available activities.
- If it is raining or wet outside, the children may not play outside the community center (even in the covered areas); doing so causes water to be tracked inside creating dangerously slippery floors.
- Student singing performance is at 12:30. Parents and siblings of students sit in the bleachers to watch.
- After the singing, children will join their families in a large circle around the perimeter of the room. A staff member will speak and we will all sing “Simple Gifts”.
- Please ask your children to accompany you in the serving lines. Lines go down both sides of each table. The food is evenly distributed between tables and it speeds things up if you stay with your line. A table for vegetarian main dishes is at the end of the food lines and reserved for those folks who don’t eat meat.
- Like all school events, this is a no alcohol event.
A – D (16): Vegetables, Vegetable dishes & Bread
E – K (16): Potatoes, Rice & Pasta
L – N (16): Salads, all types: green, fruit, grain, pasta, etc. (we need a lot)
O – R (14): Desserts & Drinks
S – Z (18): Main Dish: roasts, chicken dishes, ham, casserole, other main dish, etc.
VEGETARIANS: Vegetarian Main Dishes. The vegetarian main dish table is at the end of the serving line.
WE NEED PARENT HELPERS FOR SPRING SING, please sign up on school bulletin board by first grade or email the office!
We need helpers for:
Set up at 11:00
Craft Set-up 11:30-12:00
Craft helpers 12:00-12:30
Craft helpers 1:45-2:15
Playground helper 1:45-2:15
Make extra salad
Make extra main dish
Bring tea & hot water
Bring cream & sugar
Bring extra cups and hot cups
Clean up at 2:15
Save the Date: 5th Grade Graduation & Potluck is on a Friday!
The annual 5th grade graduation and school potluck is on Friday, June 14th from 3-6 pm at Camp Bauer. We have had many requests to change the day of our graduation ceremony so that it does not fall on Father’s Day. We hope to see you and your family at this school wide event!
Calendar Highlights for Family Vacation Planning:
Mar. 6: Board Meeting 6 p.m.
Mar. 17: Family Potluck & Student Sing 12-3
April 17-19: Half Day Parent Conferences
April 22 – 26: Spring Break
May 10: Open House / Half Day
May 27: Memorial Day, no school
June 13: Last Day of School
June 14: All School End of Year Picnic & 5th grade graduation
Questions or Suggestions? Please contact Rea Erickson at email@example.com or Pam at firstname.lastname@example.org